International Reverse Therapy Fellowship
The American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS) in partnership with the American Society of Hand Therapists (ASHT) established the International Reverse Therapy Fellowship in 2019. The program sponsors an international hand therapist's visits with AAHS and ASHT member therapists at their institutions with the aim to provide expert education so that the Fellow may return home to improve therapy education and patient care in their country.
The selected International Reverse Therapy Fellow will receive $10,000 from AAHS to be used towards a 4-week visit to North America to travel to the institutions of and train with two AAHS and ASHT member therapists. The 4-week period will allow for travel and 1 week at each host institution.
- Applicants must be therapists and have a minimum of 3 clinical practice experience.
- Applicants must have completed his or her therapist training and be early in his or her hand therapy career.
- Ideal applicants have opportunities to teach other therapists and/or students.
- Applicants must be from a developing nation.
- Applicants must have the ability to communicate in English.
Completed applications should be forwarded to email@example.com no later than March 15, 2020.
Conditions of Fellowship
- The recipient will visit two AAHS/ASHT therapist member institutions over a 4-week period between October and November.
- The recipient must submit a complete itinerary prior to travel to receive funds. Funds will be disbursed incrementally to the recipient.
- AAHS is required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to document disbursement of funds, as well as to maintain annual reports on the funded programs. For reimbursement the recipient must provide a summary of expenses including original receipts.
- The recipient may be able to use any leftover funds to travel to the AAHS Annual Meeting the following year to present a summary of his/her experience.
- The recipient will be asked to document his or her experience with HIPAA appropriate photos and videos which may be used by the AAHS for promotion of the International Reverse Therapy Fellowship program.
- Following the completion of the Fellowship, the recipient will be asked to provide a video summary of his or her experience which may be used by the AAHS for promotion of the International Reverse Therapy Fellowship program. The video summary should not include patient photos or videos.
- The recipient will also provide a written report one year from the conclusion of the Fellowship on how the experience has affected his/her practice and local care.
- The Fellowship recipient may be asked to complete a confidentiality form, consent form, and/or submit medical records to host institutions based on host institution policy.
|December 2019:||International Reverse Therapy Fellowship application cycle opens|
|March 15, 2020:||International Reverse Therapy Fellowship application cycle closes|
|April/May 2020:||Video interviews conducted among Fellowship finalists|
|May 15, 2020:||Applicants and Fellowship recipient notified|
|October 2020:||International Reverse Therapy Fellowship applicant to travel to ASHT Annual Meeting and host facilities|
|January 2021:||International Reverse Therapy Fellowship to travel to AAHS Annual Meeting and provide summary of experience|