The American Association for Hand Surgery (AAHS) and the Hand Surgery Endowment (HSE) established the International Reverse Fellowship in 2017. The program sponsors an international hand surgeonís visits with AAHS member surgeons at their institutions with the aim to provide expert, hands-on experience so that this individual may return to his or her host country to better local care while also educating others in learned techniques to perpetuate the improvement of global hand care.
The selected International Reverse Fellow will receive $10,000 to be used towards a 4-week visit to North America to travel to the institutions of and train with two AAHS member surgeons. The 4-week period will allow for travel and 1 week at each AAHS member institution.
View Previous Recipients
- Applicants must be surgeons between 30 and 40 years of age.
- Applicants must have completed his or her surgical training and be early in his or her surgical career.
- Ideal applicants are teachers; individuals who are excited to learn and educate others.
- Applicants must be from a developing nation.
Conditions of Fellowship
- The recipient will visit two AAHS surgeon member institutions over a 4-week period between April and June.
- The recipient must submit a complete itinerary prior to travel to receive funds. Funds will be disbursed incrementally to the recipient.
- AAHS and HSE are required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to document disbursement of funds, as well as to maintain annual reports on the funded programs. For reimbursement the recipient must provide a summary of expenses including original receipts.
- The recipient may be able to use any leftover funds to travel to the AAHS Annual Meeting the following year to present a summary of his/her experience.
- The recipient will be asked to document his or her experience with HIPAA appropriate photos and videos which may be used by the AAHS and HSE for promotion of the International Reverse Fellowship program.
- Following the completion of the Fellowship the recipient will be asked to provide a video summary of his or her experience which may be used by the AAHS and HSE for promotion of the International Reverse Fellowship program.
- The recipient will also provide a written report one year from the conclusion of the Fellowship on how the experience has affected his/her practice and local care.
The deadline to apply for the 2020 International Reverse Fellowship has passed.
|March 1, 2019:
||International Reverse Fellowship application cycle opens
|June 1, 2019:
||International Reverse Fellowship Applications due
|August 1, 2019:
||2019 International Reverse Fellowship recipient identified and notified
|January 1, 2020:
||Itinerary for travel submitted to Administrative Office
|April - June 2020:
||International Reverse Fellow to travel to two AAHS surgeon member institutions over a 4-week period
|Within 3 months:
||International Reverse Fellow to submit a video summarizing his or her experience
|1 year post trip:
||International Reverse Fellow to submit a written report on how experience has affected his or her practice and local care
University of Pennsylvania | Philadelphia, PA
Member Host: David Bozentka, MD
Emory University | Atlanta, GA
Member Host: Charles Daly, MD
Orthopedic Associates of Southwest Ohio | Dayton, OH
Member Host: Adam Dann, DO
Massachusetts General Hospital | Boston, MA
Member Host: Kyle Eberlin, MD
OrthoCarolina | Charlotte, NC
Member Host: R. Glenn Gaston, MD
University of Mississippi Medical Center | Jackson, MS
Member Host: William Geissler, MD
Indiana Hand to Shoulder Center
Member Host: Jeffrey Greenberg, MD
Highland Center-Orthopaedics | Lakeland, FL
Member Host: Brian Jurbala, MD
Curtis National Hand Center | Baltimore, MD
Member Host: James Higgins, MD
Rothman Institute, Thomas Jefferson University | Philadelphia, PA
Member Host: Asif Ilyas, MD
Ohio State University Hand and Upper Extremity Center | Columbus, OH
Member Host: Sonu Jain, MD
Philadelphia Hand Center | Philadelphia, PA
Member Host: A. Lee Osterman, MD
Mayo Rochester | Rochester, MN
Member Host: Peter Rhee, DO
Interested in serving as a host institution? Please contact the Administrative office firstname.lastname@example.org or 978.927.8330.
If you have questions, please contact the Administrative office at email@example.com or 978.927.8330.