As AAHS celebrates its 50th Anniversary, it looks to you to help continue the legacy of the Hand Association and the Hand Surgery Endowment.
Over the last few years, the HSE has:
- Provided $170,000 in volunteer scholarships to physicians and therapists
- Awarded over $450,000 in pilot research grants for innovations in hand care
- Supported many affiliated organizations in their humanitarian efforts
- Acknowledged and fostered excellence by honoring and recognizing the achievements of numerous AAHS members
With your participation, AAHS and the HSE can continue to ensure under-resourced areas around the world gain knowledge and skills to care for their communities, continue to award funding for research to optimize treatment for hand and upper extremity related conditions, and promote education at the highest level.
Now through October 31, 2019, AAHS will match your donation or pledge to the Endowment 100%! Direct your donation or pledge to one or more of following HSE funds.
- Jaiyoung Ryu Lectureship Fund. Dr. Jaiyoung Ryu, a longtime member of AAHS, former Board member, and a friend to many within the Association and the hand care community, was severely injured in January 2017 while at the AAHS Annual Meeting in Hawaii. Dr. Ryu passed away in January 2019 after two years of C4 quadriplegia as a result of his accident. AAHS has established the Jaiyoung Ryu Lectureship in honor of Dr. Ryu, which supports an innovative, cutting-edge lecture at the Annual Meeting. The innovation theme reflects Dr. Ryu's career interests in research and in teaching.
- International Surgery Reverse Fellowship and International Therapy Reverse Fellowship (New!). The International Surgery and Therapy Fellowships offer educational opportunities at U.S. centers for surgeons and therapists from developing countries. The International Surgery Fellowship is now in its third year, while the International Therapy Fellowship is a new program that will launch in 2020 in collaboration with ASHT.
- Research funding. Support hand care research! Research funding is awarded annually to clinicians or therapist in private or academic practice for small clinical studies focused in hand care, or for pilot studies leading to a more major hand care study.
- International volunteer scholarships. Since 2015 AAHS and HSE have been providing international volunteer scholarships to members to educate local medical teams and provide care to patients in developing-world countries. Donate to help expand this outreach program!
- General AAHS 50th anniversary campaign. The Endowment will distribute funding to its education and outreach programs based on greatest need.
Here are three easy ways you can help celebrate 50 years of progress and ensure 50 more:
- Donate $182.50 which is $.50 per day for a year
- Contribute $50.00 per month for a year for a total of $600.00
- Give $5,000.00 as a one-time contribution or make this pledge over several years
- All contribution amounts are welcome, as well as planned giving and other forms of donation
As a 501c(3) entity, all monetary contributions made to the Hand Surgery Endowment are tax deductible to the fullest extent of US law. The HSE's Federal Tax ID number is 37-1355162. Contributors will receive a formal acknowledgement notice from the HSE administrative office which includes information about tax deductible donations.