The American Association for Hand Surgery awards Annual Research Grants to clinicians and therapists in private or academic practice for small clinical studies focused in hand care, or for pilot studies leading to a more major hand care study. Grant applications are judged not only on scientific merit, but also on whether the project can realistically be completed in 1 year and on the quality and practicality of the budget. All AAHS members and applicants for membership are eligible to apply. There may be up to 3 co-investigators on a project and at least 1 of the investigators MUST be an Active or Affiliate AAHS member. Non-member residents and fellows are eligible to apply as well, and at least one of the co-investigators must be an Active or Affiliate member of AAHS. Applications without at least 1 Active or Affiliate AAHS member co-investigator will not be considered by the Research Committee. The award in the amount of $10,000 for a 1 year period is funded by the Hand Surgery Endowment and administered by the Association
View previous recipients
The application deadline for the 2016 Annual Research Grant has passed.
- Up to 3 investigators may be included on a single application, 1 investigator MUST be an Active or Affiliate AAHS member. Applications without at least 1 Active or Affiliate AAHS member co-investigator will not be considered by the Research Committee.
- Facility for research must coincide with Principal Investigator's location for 1 year following receipt of the Award.
- Only complete applications will be considered for funding by the Research Committee, Complete applications include the AAHS Research Grant application form within which investigators may upload their project proposal. Proposals may not exceed 5 pages, not including references and must follow NIH formatting standards (12 point, black Arial, Helvetica, Palatino Linotype or Georgia font, .5 inch margins, single spacing)
- AAHS and the Research Committee are required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to document disbursement of funds, as well as to maintain annual reports on the funded programs. Please note that this award is for support of compensation and direct costs only and cannot be used for any form of indirect costs and/or overhead assessments (personal compensation of investigators, travel, payment of hospital costs.
- AAHS must be acknowledged as the source of funding in any presentation or publication.
- It is expected that research supported by this grant be submitted for presentation at the Annual Meeting within 2 years of receipt of the Award.
- Funds must be returned to the HSE if the research is not undertaken within 12 months of receipt of the Award.
- A final progress report should list publications which resulted from this initial seed funding.
- Failure to follow these guidelines will disqualify the recipient from any further grant applications and from presenting any papers at AAHS meetings for 3 years following such default.
Note: The AAHS/Plastic Surgery Foundation (PSF) Combined Pilot Research Grant may be another funding opportunity of interest. Projects submitted to the AAHS Annual Research Grant are eligible for submission to the AAHS/PSF Combined Pilot Research Grant, although a project will only be funded through one grant. View Instructions.